Every week, I make a big batch of quinoa with whatever veg I happen to have on hand. It's great to add to any dish and, because quinoa is amazingly satisfying and tasty as well as being very nutritious, I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. This week, I added tomatoes, black beans, red onions, a few bits of red bell pepper, artichoke, and cucumber which I sauteed and then reduced in a sweet red wine.
Since I already had my quinoa and veg done, my first step was to remove the gills from the inside of the portobello mushroom with a spoon. (Please note, you should never rinse the portobello in water) Next, with a small basting brush, I covered the portobello in extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Then, I heated the oven to 300F and cooked for 8-10 minutes until nicely browned.

To make the burger patties, I took additional kidney and garbanzo (chickpeas) beans and mashed them. Then, I took my quinoa mixture and the mashed beans and molded it together into little patties. Next, I added natural sea salt and ground black pepper and placed them onto a tray covered in aluminum foil. After the mushroom was finished cooking, I placed these in the oven at 450F for 15 minutes.
Finally, I placed a patty on top of the portobello mushroom and arranged some tomato, onion, and artichoke hearts that I had sliced while waiting for the patties to cook. Et voila! You can add condiments or spices to suit your tastes. I prefer to add as little in the way of spices and oils as possible. To make this more like a burger, I'd suggest adding a vegan mayonnaise or ketchup. Also, in place of the mushroom, there are some really wonderful vegan sprouted grain breads available.To whomever reads this, thank you for sharing in my first recipe blogging experience! Please feel free to comment with any suggestions or questions!
This looks seriously delicious.
ReplyDelete