Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summer Squash & Zucchini Noodles

If you're anything like me, you crave comfort food when you're stressed. Growing up in a big Greek family, when something was wrong, my mi̱téra was always there with lamb and rice or my favorite avogolemona soup. Considering my dietary choices, I no longer eat those foods (but, goodness, do I miss them!). Aside from my favorite Greek foods, we always had a lot of pasta around the house. Of course, it was the "enriched" semolina, which I also no longer eat. I still love pasta and, while I may not be able to find a good substitute for lamb, I have found a wonderful way to make healthful noodles using squash and zucchini, which is also quite simple.



First, grab a large pan, and drizzle in some EVOO, flaxseed oil, and/or fish oils. I used EVOO and flaxseed oils (which are the gel tablets in the photo above). Also, grab the salt and pepper. Turn your stove top to medium-high heat and let the oils warm.



Grab a couple of either (or both!) and peel in long strips until you get to the seeds. Quick tip: leave the zucchini and squash on the cutting board when you're peeling them as they do get very flimsy and will probably break if they're held over the bowl.


Once everything is peeled and the pan has warmed with the oils lubricating the circumference, put all the peels into the pan and toss a few times until the oils have coated the peels. At this time, also add a pinch of salt and pepper and toss again.


While the noodles are cooking, I chopped up some tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms and cooked them in a pan on medium-high heat with a pinch of salt and pepper as well as some oregano. Once these have cooked, the mushrooms will be a lovely brown color, the tomato skins will have softened, and the onions will have lost some of their color. I added a splash of red wine and reduced the temperature to a low simmer.


By the time the noodles have cooked thoroughly, the other veg should be about done as well. Remove everything, plate, and voila!


This could be my new favorite dinner dish! Amazing colors and wonderful flavors! I had a small corn on the cob on the side, which went quite well. There is absolutely no residual taste of the flaxseed oil, which is something I always worry about since it has such a strong odor and taste. Would be great with champagne or a white wine with brighter, sweeter notes. Strawberries for dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment