Monday, August 16, 2010

Strawberry Jam: The Best Thing I've Ever Made, Bar None!

Okay, so perhaps I'm a bit partial but I think this is the best thing I've ever had in my mouth. I've been wanting to make my own jam for quite some time but, for whatever reason, I never attempted it. Also, most of the recipes I read required pectin and I would prefer that my food be as natural as possible (yes, I'm aware this is derived partially from apples but I don't care for added preservatives).



I began by mashing strawberries by hand, which was actually quite fun. This only took a few minutes for the whole carton. There will be somewhat large bits after mashing if you just use your hand and you'll need to tear them up into smaller pieces, unless you want obvious bits in your jam, which I did so I left a few bigger bits.



The next step is to put measure out the strawberries. I had about 1 1/2 cups. You must add equal parts sugar and strawberries. I used all natural brown sugar. I put the mix into a pot and squeezed one half of a lemon in.

 
Turn the heat to high, stirring continually, until reaching a hard boil. Finally, reduce heat and stop stirring to let the jam consolidate. I went back once every few minutes to make sure it wasn't burning and to give a quick stir. 



Plate and serve or jar to keep for later. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. I ended up licking every bit off of my spoon and then putting some on a cookie! It was also very fragrant and made almost the entire house smell like strawberries. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment